Instant Pot Bean and Sausage Soup is so easy and SO good! Make this delicious healthy meal from dried UNSOAKED black eyed peas and low fat chicken sausage in about an hour.
The wonder of the instant pot just grows and grows! I have had my instant pot about a year now and I still use it almost daily. It is just the handiest tool I have in my kitchen. But for cooking up dried beans it worth it’s weight in gold!
Find some of my favorite recipes in our instant pot section!
Cooking beans in the instant pot is a NO brainer. Once you use your pressure cooker to cook beans you will never go back to soaking the beans in water a day ahead (I never remember).
Cooking black eyed peas and other dried beans in the instant pot unsoaked is so easy. We have NO digestive issues from this method either. Just yum.
Instant pot Black Eyed Peas and Sausage:
Sausage bean soup instant pot recipes are SO easy to make and very fast in the electric pressure cooker. I have several quite different recipes using dried beans and sausage. This is the only recipe using black eyed peas specifically.
We had company for lunch and I had to get creative! Lately cooking has been LOW on my priorities. Our property requires a LOT of mowing, weeding and maintenance in the summer months.
Coming in after hours of working outside to cook and clean the house. It’s hard to get inspired. Laundry and easy recipes win most of the time.
But today I had to suck it up. I needed a good sized meal in a hurry. I had to get creative.
Instant pot to the rescue! I dug around and found chicken sausage, some sprigs of rosemary in the freezer and a bag of black eyed peas in the cupboard.
That is the base of this recipe. It was SO good! And all done in about an hour.
Black Eyed Peas Nutrition is Excellent:
Here are some GREAT reasons to love Black Eyed Peas.
- 1 Cup of Black Eyed Peas calories = 160 calories. And they are very good for you!
- Black eyed peas are among the most nourishing of beans.
- Black eyed peas are Full of complex carbs that are excellent for your digestion.
- They lower cholesterol and aid in blood sugar regulation.
- A single serving offers:
- 16 grams of carbs in black eyed peas – 4 grams are fiber and 3 are sugar. Black eyed peas are considered low glycemic.
- 5 grams of healthy Protein.
- Vitamin A 25 % of your daily intake
- Calcium 21 % daily intake.
So let’s make Black Eyed peas soup!
I really love the flavor of the black eyed peas with the chicken sausage in this bean stew. I used my fresh frozen rosemary from the greenhouse and bay leaves to blend the flavors together. Those are both great herbs to bring out the flavor of this soup.
Gluten Free? Read this!
The worcestershire sauce is another worthy addition to instant pot bean soup with sausage. The original Lea and Perrin Brand of Worcestershire sauce is gluten free. The link is through my Amazon affiliate link OR look for tamari to substitute.
New Years Black Eyed Peas Recipe
Black eyed Peas are a tradition in the south for New Years Day. This northern girl was so surprised when this black eyed peas Recipe went crazy over new Years Day. I investigated and found the reason.
Black eyed peas bring prosperity! Yep. Love that this food is good for your body, soul and spirit. AND maybe your pocket book. 🙂
Our garden leeks added a wonderful mellow oniony flavor to this soup I think you will love!
You could use onion in this recipe if that’s all you have. But try leeks when you can. In fact Grow leeks if you are a gardener. It’s an easy heart healthy crop!
Some Instant Pot accessories that I find indispensable and will help you:
I recently bought my daughters all instant pots. I bought them these accessories too. MUST haves!
The Instant pot tempered glass lid. This is SO handy for slow cooking, saute and covering the instant pot while in the fridge full of leftovers. Mine is usually in my dishwasher or on the pot.
Silicone mitts are the perfect way to remove a VERY hot insert out of your instant pot. The heat is usually wet and steamy. The silicone mitts protect your fingers and are small so handy to store.
Instant Pot Bean and Sausage Soup Recipe:
NOTES AND TIPS:
- Doubling this recipe is not possible in the instant pot. You will run out of room in your pot while cooking.
- The instant pot needs some head room to work properly. Remember the beans will double in size when cooked from the dry state.
- Black eyed peas taste great in this recipe but you could replace them with another small bean with the same cooking time if you prefer. Here’s the page from the Instant Pot company of cooking times for various foods for you. Very handy to keep this bookmarked!
- Bean and Sausage soup instant pot method is the easiest way to cook dried beans. Use any sausage you prefer as well. But BROWN a bulk sausage before cooking it in the recipe for best texture and flavor with the instant pot sautè function.
- Mind you I did NOT pre soak the beans! The instant pot cooked them up in 15 minutes perfectly.
- Instant Pot Four Bean Beef Stew and Six gun Chili also use unsoaked dried beans. These winter soups all do well with the unsoaked dried beans cooked in the instant pot.
If you purchase items from our affiliate links we may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. Thank you for supporting Homemade Food Junkie. Enjoy your instant pot!
Your Printable Recipe Card:
Instant Pot Bean and Sausage Soup is so easy and SO good! Make this delicious healthy meal from UNSOAKED dried black eyed peas and low fat chicken sausage in about an hour. For gluten Free replace worcestershire sauce with Tamari or other gluten free flavor as you prefer. No need to soak the beans ahead. If you do soak them they will cook faster so reduce the cooking time to about 5 minutes. Instant pots DO take some time to come to pressure. I have added time for that but it's only a guess. Your pot may be faster or slower than mine. Enjoy! "There are a few things to be aware of when cooking dried beans and legumes: Beans and legumes are less likely to be over-cooked, but if they are undercooked the texture is unpleasant. Please consider the cooking time as a minimal time."
Excerpt from the Instant pot cooking times page.
Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 457 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 68mg Sodium: 905mg Carbohydrates: 54g Fiber: 9g Sugar: 11g Protein: 38g
Instant Pot Bean and Sausage Soup is so easy and SO good! Make this delicious healthy meal from UNSOAKED dried black eyed peas and low fat chicken sausage in about an hour.
For gluten Free replace worcestershire sauce with Tamari or other gluten free flavor as you prefer.
No need to soak the beans ahead. If you do soak them they will cook faster so reduce the cooking time to about 5 minutes.
Instant pots DO take some time to come to pressure. I have added time for that but it's only a guess. Your pot may be faster or slower than mine. Enjoy!
"There are a few things to be aware of when cooking dried beans and legumes:
Beans and legumes are less likely to be over-cooked, but if they are undercooked the texture is unpleasant. Please consider the cooking time as a minimal time."