Creamy Rhubarb Shortbread Squares are perfect for a large crowd or potluck dessert. Made with fresh or frozen rhubarb, a shortbread crust and custard filling. Top it all off with a creamy topping. This recipe makes 24 Scrumptious servings!
Our reader Liz says “I made this recipe for creamy rhubarb shortbread squares and it’s wonderful !!”
And it freezes well too!
Rhubarb lovers this recipe is for you. That tangy rhubarb flavor makes Creamy Rhubarb Shortbread Squares Irresistible.
It’s Rhubarb season and our bush is large. Harvest is always busy.
I had a load of rhubarb to take care of in the kitchen. I froze 2 gallon ziplock bags of chopped rhubarb yesterday.
If you enjoy rhubarb; search for rhubarb in our search bar. We have a growing inventory of rhubarb recipes. You may enjoy Rhubarb Ginger Sauce, Pan Fried Rhubarb chicken, Rhubarb Apple Fruit Crisp, Rhubarb Buttermilk Cheesecake, and delicious Rhubarb Cardamom streusel Muffins.
I’m add more rhubarb recipes every year. We have a large rhubarb bush.
I made way too much of this yummy spring dessert for just Dave and I.
We can’t stay out of these rhubarb squares. So, I sent a few home with Kayti.
I got caught though. Dave spied Kaytis rhubarb dessert on the table wrapped up and ready to go.
I was reprimanded for letting some of this luscious, creamy dreamy, heavenly…(I could go on) dessert escape out the door. Honestly!
I told him it was too much for us. He wants it all anyway. Dave can be very protective of his indulgent desserts. So sorry hubby.
The shortbread crust sold me on this recipe. And all the creaminess. Yep. This recipe is a family favorite.
As sheet pan desserts go this is an easy, practical, crowd pleaser. Perfect potluck dish.
One pan feeds your family and friends a yummy treat. And then the pan is empty.
Notice the rhubarb is in the custard filling. All the creaminess of this dessert is beautifully complemented by rhubarb’s tart zing.
If you purchase items from our affiliate links we may receive a small commision at no extra charge to you. Thank you for supporting Homemade Food Junkie.
Creamy Rhubarb Shortbread Squares Recipe Notes:
Creamy decadence through and through. Whipped cream, cream cheese and shortbread. It is WORTH IT!
This recipe for rhubarb is a perfect potluck dish or holiday dessert. It’s rich and filling and Small servings will satisfy. And then it’s a blissful satisfying memory.
We LOVE this creamy rich rhubarb dessert. Ridiculously! And the shortbread recipe for the crust is a beauty.
This is a super easy potluck dessert to put together.
- If you have a food processor make the crust recipe in that. It just takes a few pulses to make the crust this way. After that, press the dough into your oiled baking dish.
- You can also chop up your rhubarb and make the rhubarb mixture in the food processor. This is especially helpful if you want the rhubarb chopped fine. Great time saver.
- You will need about 2 hours to make these and cool them down to layer the topping on. They are tasty at room temperature, or chilled.
- These are much easier to cut once set and thoroughly chilled. So keep that in mind when you are timing the recipe. Cold is better.
- I suggest you actually measure the rhubarb squares size at about 2 x 2 inches and then cut to keep the squares fairly uniform.
- You will need a sharp knife (cleaned often) to cut all the way through the crust. Gloppiness can occur if the knife is not well cleaned after each cut.
These rhubarb squares keep well, covered, in the fridge for days.
Need an excellent make ahead dessert for a crowd? Here you go. OR make it the same day you want to serve it. Just remember you’ll need that chilling time for cutting.
Creamy Rhubarb Shortbread Squares are perfect for a large crowd or potluck dessert. Made with fresh or frozen rhubarb, a shortbread crust and custard filling.
To freeze this Recipe:
To freeze the whole recipe in the baking pan.
- After the baking dish is thoroughly cooled to room temperature cover it tightly with plastic wrap.
- Now cover it again with foil.
- Label the container with an indelible marker. name and date.
- Freeze for up to two months.
To freeze the squares once cut.
- The cut squares will not last as long in the freezer due to the exposed cut edges.
- You will want to press the squares together tightly to minimize air exposure when freezing.
- Double wrap and label.
- Freeze up to one month.
This recipe freezes well if tightly wrapped and stored in the freezer up to a month. DEFROST: For slow thaw-Set the container in the fridge and let slowly come to fridge temperature. OR for quicker defrost- Set on counter to bring to room temperature.
For the Crust
For The Topping
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 313 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 76mg Sodium: 105mg Carbohydrates: 34g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 24g Protein: 3g
This recipe freezes well if tightly wrapped and stored in the freezer up to a month.
DEFROST: For slow thaw-Set the container in the fridge and let slowly come to fridge temperature. OR for quicker defrost- Set on counter to bring to room temperature.
Recipe Source:rhubarb central.com