Decadent Snickers Cupcakes feature a dark chocolate cupcake each filled with snickers candy, topped with a rich peanut butter buttercream, and drizzled with chocolate and caramel sauce. Add an extra snickers to the top for an over the top candy cupcake that everyone will love.
The snickers filled cupcakes are one of our most popular cupcakes recipes, and for good reason; the decadent flavors and soft, fluffy cake stand out with an impressive presentation that is perfect for an array of occasions and events.
The chocolate cupcakes are made with two kinds of chocolate, brown sugar, and buttermilk making a tender crumb that retains moisture long after the bake. Our scratch made buttercream brings the peanut butter flavor to the forefront with a creamy, whipped frosting that balances the rich chocolate cakes perfectly.
How do you make Snickers cupcakes?
Snickers cupcakes are one of the most popular and well loved combinations you will find in the cupcake world. They are typically made with a rich chocolate cake and a silky peanut butter buttercream. The snickers candies are incorporated by baking a mini snickers candy into the center of the cupcake, and using the play of peanut butter and chocolate to do the rest.
We finish our snickers stuffed cupcakes by drizzling chocolate and caramel sauce over the top of the buttercream, and placing a second snickers candy atop of the frosting crown for added presentation and depth of texture.
What is the secret to moist cupcakes?
Tender, fluffy, moist cupcakes are not hard to get when you understand the techniques and tips of the baking world. We are sharing our advice for how you can bake the best Snickers cupcakes every time.
- Always use fresh, high quality ingredients. This is especially important for eggs, milk or cream, butters, and any rising agents.
- Warm all ingredients to room temperature. This will help everything combine better and require less mixing time, which is important in the baking world.
- Using full fat ingredients like whole milk, sour cream or plain yogurt, butter, and heavy cream will help keep the crumb and texture of your cupcakes fluffy and tender. The proteins in dairy slow the development of gluten and keep the cakes light and airy.
- Be careful not to over mix the batter. In the baking world you only mix your batter to the point of everything being combined. Over mixing will cause the air bubbles to collapse resulting in flat, dense cakes.
- Bake at the proper temperature and time to prevent uneven baking. Over baked cupcakes will be dry and dense. Under baked cupcakes will be flat and heavy with under done centers.
- Never overfill the cupcakes tins. Fill the tins to 2/3 full to allow for even baking every time. We always recommend the use of ice cream or cookie scoops to help you fill the liners with a uniform amount of batter.
A hack for baking the best cupcakes with tender, fluffy bottoms is to put a single layer of rice into each cupcake tin, place the liner down and then fill and bake as directed. The rice will absorb any moisture or grease that would otherwise accumulate in the bottom of the liner and cupcake base, keeping the bottom of the cupcake light and soft rather than heavy with moisture.
How to you fill cupcakes?
Filling cupcakes, either will candies, creams, frostings, or ganache, is a relatively easy feat once you get the hang of it. To fill your snickers cupcakes with snickers candies bake the cupcakes as directed and chop up the candies. Once the cupcakes have cooled completely, core out the center either will a small knife, spoon, or a cupcake coring tool.
Fill the cored cupcake with the chopped candy bits and pour a bit of caramel sauce over the top. Frost your cupcakes with the peanut butter buttercream as directed.
Why is my peanut butter buttercream separating?
For our cupcake recipes we always use an American buttercream recipe. It is simple and most familiar and easy to execute for home bakers with a sweet flavor that everyone loves. Buttercream is a whipped frosting that requires some finesse and attention to detail in order to yield the fluffiest, silky texture.
If you find that your buttercream is separating or splitting, likely it is because your ingredients are either too warm, or too cold. It’s important that the butter is softened to room temperature and not melted. Melted butter is too thin to support the fluffy texture that is necessary for buttercream.
Make sure the peanut butter is also soft, mixed well, and warmed to room temperature. If it is cold, over oily, or thick and grainy, it will not mix into a creamy consistency with the other ingredients.
Can you add peanut butter to store bought frosting?
Yes, if you are looking to save time you can add peanut butter to a pre-made frosting, but you will need to add powdered sugar in order to get it light and fluffy again. Without the addition of the powdered sugar the frosting will be very heavy and no pipeable.
You will also need to whip the frosting in order to achieve a lighter, airy texture. If you choose to use a store bought frosting you will not get the same consistency or flavor as you would if you made a buttercream from scratch. But, it’s definitely an option if you choose.
How do you decorate cupcakes?
Decorating cupcakes is a creative experience that can be simple or intricate depending on your preferences and skill level. We finished these snickers cupcakes with a swirl of buttercream, drizzled with caramel and chocolate sauces, and an extra snickers candy on top. It creates a beautiful presentation that tells everyone exactly what kind of cupcake it is.
Here are some tips and ideas for how you can decorate your snickers cupcakes.
- The Wilton 2D decorators tip is one of the most popular for swirling buttercream on cupcakes, and the one that we most often use. You can use different tip sizes or designs to change up the look; or, do a simple swirl application with a small knife.
- Store bought chocolate and caramel sauces can absolutely be used for the drizzle, but you can also whip up your own very easily and the flavor will be outstanding. Try our homemade buttermilk caramel sauce and make a simple chocolate drizzle.
- Use decorative cupcake liners to elevate the look and presentation of these snickers cupcakes.
- Serve with extra snickers candies for a decadent experience.
- Whip up a snickers buttercream in place of the peanut butter buttercream.
- Top with additional chopped peanuts.
How to drizzle the sauce for your snickers cupcakes
- Fill a decorators piping bag with chocolate sauce, cut the very tip of the end off and fill with sauce. Drizzle in a diagonal line across the frosting, as desired.
- Repeat the same steps for the caramel sauce.
- Make sure the sauces are warm as they will drizzle better.
Decadent Snickers Cupcakes Recipe
The chocolate cake recipe that is used for these snickers cupcakes is the absolute best. You will get soft, fluffy chocolate cupcakes with a rich flavor every time.
We chose the peanut butter buttercream to add yet one more layer of flavor to the mix. These candy bar cupcakes are already filled and topped with snickers, so we wanted to bring up the peanut butter flavor.
Here is the printable recipe card with a video tutorial showing you how to swirl buttercream onto the cupcakes
Decadent Snickers Cupcakes. Featuring a dark chocolate cake filled with snickers and Caramel sauce and topped with Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting. And yes! Drizzled on top with a candy topper! That’s decadent!!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch processed)
- 3/4 cup Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk*
- 1/2 C. butter
- 1/2 C. peanut butter, creamy
- 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 C. powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp. milk (more if needed)
- 1 jar of salted caramel sauce (or make your own)
- 1 jar of chocolate sauce (or make your own)
- 24 mini snickers
Preheat Oven to 350 F.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together in the microwave.
- Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between each time.
- Set aside mixture to cool completely
- In a medium sized bowl, toss the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together until thoroughly combined.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl,
- Whisk the eggs, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla together until smooth.
- Add the cooled butter/chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- Add half of the flour mixture, then half of the buttermilk.
- Keep stirring until everything is mixed
- Batter will have a thicker consistency.
- Divide the batter between 12 liners in your cupcake pan.
- Bake for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- When cupcakes are cooled, core out the center with a spoon and fill with chopped mini snickers.
- pour 1 tbsp of salted caramel sauce on top of the mini snickers.
- Beat butter for 1 minute or until it is light and fluffy.
- Add peanut butter in and beat for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract and slowly add powdered sugar until your frosting becomes thick.
- Add 1 Tbsp of milk, and beat. Continue adding milk until frosting is the desired consistency.
- I used chocolate sauce and salted caramel sauce to drizzle over the cupcake after frosting.
- To drizzle: fill a disposable piping bag with chocolate sauce, cut the very tip of the end off and fill with sauce. Repeat the same steps for the caramel sauce.
This recipe is NOT as time consuming as it looks. Do the prep for the filling while the cupcakes are baking and cooling. Same with the frosting. Make it in your down time.
Amount Per Serving Calories 566Total Fat 29gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 75mgSodium 335mgCarbohydrates 71gFiber 3gSugar 57gProtein 8g
NOTE you won't be consuming this many calories. The frosting and sauces are not completely used. I gave you a generous recipe.
Click on any of the pictures below to explore more delicious cupcake recipes
We enjoy meeting you on our social networks. Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram . Tag us with your pictures of our recipes and comment on how it went for you. We would love to see what you do with them.
We often like, comment and share your posts of our recipes on our daily Instagram stories.
Ask questions and rate the recipe in the comments section below. Please share what you did with this recipe. We are always looking for more and better ways to make homemade food. Other cooks love your ideas!
- Considering A Freeze Dryer for Home Use
- Delightful Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer
- Air Fryer Hasselback Potatoes
- Perfect Classic Breakfast Sliders
- How Does Freeze Drying Work?
Recipe Adapted from: Sally’s Baking Addiction and Cup of Cake