What is puppy chow? Puppy chow is a yummy snack made originally with Chex cereal, chocolate chips, peanut butter, and powdered sugar. The ingredients are mixed together and then coated in powdered sugar, giving the snack a snowy, powdery appearance.
This basic puppy chow snack recipe is delicious and very easy to make. Puppy chow is a popular homemade treat. You’ll see it being devoured at pot lucks, tail gate parties and home football game night.
Hosts and hostesses serve this easy to grab snack at Christmas parties, and other holiday gatherings in various holiday versions throughout the year.
Kids LOVE this snack food. Puppy chow makes a great birthday party snack or lunch box treat. Keep a quantity of this mix on hand for every day yummers.
What Does Puppy Chow Taste Like?
Puppy chow, has a sweet and slightly salty taste, with a crunchy texture from the cereal. The melted chocolate and peanut butter add a creamy sweet richness to the cereal. Some people compare the flavor of puppy chow to a peanut butter and chocolate flavored cereal or a chocolate peanut butter granola bar. It’s so good!
Why is Chex Mix is Called Puppy Chow?
Chex Mix is known as puppy chow for a few reasons.
- This crunchy cereal is about the same size and shape of dog kibble.
- And Chex mix cereal was made in 1937 by Ralston Purina Company. The company that also makes Purina dog food.
- Kellogg’s Chex Cereal is the base ingredient for the original puppy snack recipe. So of course home cooks used the name for the snack mixes they created with it. It’s a cute name and catchy for a casual snack. Kids love eating dog food. Brilliant name for moms to use.
In some form or other, Puppy chow is also known as monkey munch, muddy buddies, muddy munch, reindeer chow, or doggy bag. It’s all the same basic popular cereal snack mix with variations.
Somebody noticed the original Puppy chow looks like dog food kibbles. The chex mix is about the same size as dog kibble. This snack mix is often made in large quantities and served at parties or events. It’s just the right size and shape to gobble from a bag or bowl.
In fact, Some people serve puppy chow in a dog dish at casual parties to double down on the dog kibble vibe. But remember, this is not a snack for dogs. chocolate makes doggies sick.
Is Puppy Chow The Same As Muddy Buddies?
What is the difference between puppy chow and muddy buddies? There is no difference. Puppy chow is the same as muddies buddies. Chex cereal caught on to the popularity of puppy chow and began publishing a recipe for “muddy buddies” on the back of its boxes in 2010. They weren’t too keen on their cereal being known as puppy chow so they gave the recipe a new name for marketing purposes. This is why the two names are often used interchangeably.
What is Midwestern Puppy Chow?
Is puppy chow a Midwest thing? Yes it is. Puppy chow snack mix began in the kitchens of home cooks in the Midwest back in the 1980s, or possibly earlier. We have an unknown cook in the midwest to thank for this cereal snack. Some inventive person made up the basic recipe for puppy chow with a box of Chex cereal and everyone loved it.
Over the years, the recipe for puppy chow snack spread through the midwestern states and families then spread this recipe all over the country.
Nowadays, Puppy chow is a popular treat during the holiday season in every state and is often served at Christmas parties and other holiday gatherings.
What Is Puppy Chow Made Of?
The basic puppy chow snack is made of Chex mix, chocolate chips, peanut butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Since the original recipe became popular, home cooks have created MANY more versions of puppy chow incorporating different cereals, like crispix, pretzels, nuts and candies. Cooks also use food dyes, and other ingredients to reflect the event or holiday where the snacks are being served.
Once Puppy chow caught on, it developed a whole culture of quick to make homemade sweet and salty cereal snacks built on this basic snack recipe.
There are versions of puppy chow for nearly every occasion. It can go anywhere properly dressed. Valentines puppy chow is a fun simple treat to set out for the kids or a party on February 14th..ish. it also works well for other events where a pink and red vibe is happening.
For Christmas lots of people make a Reindeer puppy chow mix using pretzel twists. mini Reeses, and Christmas red and green M&Ms.
If you have an event that is themed for a certain color or vibe, turn this basic puppy snack mix into a nice addition to your party by changing up the candy.
The best puppy chow recipe is the one you love the most. Keep it simple and tasty. This is all about your family’s needs and preferences. Here are a few ways to change up the basic recipe and create that perfect puppy style snack mix your family will sit up and beg for.
Add in Ingredients to change up Puppy chow:
- Chex mix comes in MANY flavors nowadays. Try some of these different flavored Chex cereals to change up your puppy chow.
- Puppy chow crispix snack mix is made by replacing the Chex mix with Kellogs Crispix Cereal. This cereal has rice on one side and corn on the other so it adds a new flavor into the mix.
- Nuts – Another fun idea to add is nuts into puppy chow snack for a sweet and salty snack mix.
- Mix in different cereals like rice Chex or Cheerios.
- Sprinkles – Sprinkles can make a sweet version of this recipe so fun and festive.
- Change Colors – Try different colors of candy melts for different events.
- Chocolate Chips – Add in ½ cup of white chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips to add flavor and texture.
- Powder Sugar – Puppy chow snack can be made without powdered sugar.
- Peanut Butter – Make puppy chow without peanut butter. Make sure to increase the chocolate so everything still sticks together.
- Change the Candy – To suit your event or holiday.
- Add small pretzel twists for extra crunch and more savory flavor.
- Make this a puppy chow recipe with cocoa powder. Add 1 1/2 Tablespoon cocoa powder into the powdered sugar for a darker mix.
How Long Can Puppy Chow be Stored at Room Temperature?
Puppy chow can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container or sealable plastic bag for up to one week. However, it’s best to store puppy chow in the refrigerator to extend its shelf life and prevent it from going stale. In the refrigerator, puppy chow can be stored for up to two weeks.
To store puppy chow in the refrigerator, simply cool the puppy chow completely after finishing the recipe. Place it in an airtight container or sealable plastic bag and store it in the refrigerator. When you are ready to eat the puppy chow, remove it from the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature before serving.
Can you Freeze Puppy Chow?
It is possible to freeze puppy chow, although the texture may change slightly after it is thawed. To freeze puppy chow, first allow it to cool completely after it has been prepared. Then, place it in an airtight container or sealable plastic bag and store it in the freezer for up to three months.
When you are ready to enjoy the puppy chow, remove it from the freezer and allow it to thaw at room temperature for a few hours.
The texture may be slightly different after thawing, but the puppy chow will still be safe to eat. If you prefer, you can also microwave individual servings of frozen puppy chow for a few seconds to soften it up before enjoying it.
Printable Recipe For Original Puppy Chow Snack:
Puppy Chow Snack Recipe
Puppy Chow Snack Mix is popular for holidays and casual events. Make this sweet and salty snack for friends and gatherings. It will vanish quick. Makes a great pot lock offering or food gift.
- 9 cups Chex cereal (any flavor)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Place the Chex cereal in a large, sealable plastic bag.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter together in 30-second intervals until melted and smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the Chex cereal in the plastic bag and seal the bag.
- Gently shake the bag until the cereal is evenly coated in the chocolate mixture.
- Place the powdered sugar in a separate, sealable plastic bag.
- Add the chocolate-coated Chex cereal to the bag with the powdered sugar and seal the bag.
- Shake the bag until the cereal is evenly coated in the powdered sugar.
- Spread the coated cereal out on a sheet of wax paper to cool.
- Once the puppy chow has cooled, it is ready to serve. Enjoy!
Puppy Chow Recipe with Crispix Cereal:
Use crispix cereal to bring in both rice and corn flavors with a bit of sweet rather than the original chex flavor. Crispix is also a bit puffier.
Puppy Chow Mix with Cocoa Powder:
Add 1 1/2 Tablespoons cocoa powder in with the powdered sugar and close the bag. Shake it up really well until the cocoa is evenly distributed through the powdered sugar.
Add in Ideas For Puppy Chow:
- Add in Nuts – Another fun idea to add is nuts for a sweet and salty snack mix.
- Try mixing in different cereals like rice Chex or cheerioes.
- Sprinkles – Add in Sprinkles to this recipe more festive.
- Change Colors – Try adding candy melts to make it your own.
- Powder Sugar – Try puppy chow without powdered sugar.
- Peanut Butter – You can make this puppy chow without peanut butter. Make sure to increase the chocolate so everything still sticks together.
- Change the Candy – We used Valentine M&M’s but you can use other Valentine candy.
- Add small pretzel twists for extra crunch and more savory flavors.
- white chocolate can replace the chocolate chips.
Amount Per Serving Calories 152Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 5mgSodium 94mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 2gSugar 12gProtein 3g
The calorie count will change if you alter the ingredients or quantity served.
More Party Treats:
Visit our Appetizers section for even more great ideas on recipes for snacks and parties. Try these sweets: Holiday candies, Shortbread cookies, simple eggnog cookies, moist vanilla cupcakes, Champagne cupcakes and so many more desserts for party tables are on this blog.
For some delicious party appetizers try chorizo spinach bites, stuffed dates, or a charcuterie board. So many great ways to fill a party table with delicious snacks, sweets and appetizers.
We enjoy meeting you on our social networks. Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram . Tag us with your pictures of our recipes and comment on how it went for you. We would love to see what you do with them.
We often like, comment and share your posts of our recipes on our daily Instagram stories.
Ask questions and rate the recipe in the comments section below. Please share what you did with this recipe. We are always looking for more and better ways to make homemade food. Other cooks love your ideas!
Thursday 26th of January 2023
Chocolate is toxic to dogs. PLEASE revise this recipe.
Thursday 26th of January 2023
Hi Jaybee, This is definitely people food. I have gone into the post and underscored that point and mentioned that chocolate will make dogs sick. I hope that reassures you. Never feed this snack to a dog.