Instant Pot Greek Yogurt puts store bought in the back seat. It’s incredibly Easy to make.
After the yogurt is finished, You sieve out the tangy whey from the yogurt.
What’s left is creamy and Delicious Greek style yogurt.
This recipe is a great way to stretch a dollar and kids LOVE this mild flavored yogurt.
The Instant Pot is one of your most useful kitchen tools. My 6 quart instant pot has replaced my slow cooker.
And often my stove top soup pot.
More Instant Pot Recipes:
It’s also bringing back the time consuming recipes of old that make frugal, healthy home cooking doable again. The instant pot reduces the long times we used to face for soaking beans and simmering pots of stew and bones.
To get a feel for REALLY cooking from scratch and saving lots of money and time. Try our four bean soup recipe in the instant pot.
Instant Pot Greek Yogurt:
- The instant pot is the easiest method I have found with no fuss and not much mess either.
- I LOVE that it safely boils the milk to exactly 180 degrees F and I don’t have to watch it OR stir it to avoid burning the milk. (I have burned a lot of milk boiling it on my stove over the years).
- I also don’t have to worry about incubating the milk and yogurt starter in less than ideal circumstances.
- The instant pot has preset the correct temperatures for both the boiling the milk and incubating the yogurt. Set it and forget it! I Love that.
- The biggest challenge I have with using my instant pot for yogurt is I can’t use it for other things while it’s incubating
Tips For Making Greek Yogurt in the Instant Pot:
- I most often incubate the yogurt at night and switch the yogurt to a different large pot or my cuisinart strainer for the final strain. That way I can get the instant pot back in business if I need it.
- The 8 quart Instant Pot makes a gallon of milk into a half gallon of Greek Yogurt with room to spare. The six quart will also hold a gallon of milk for this process.
- Use whatever milk you prefer. For kids, I recommend using organic whole milk. That is nutritionally the best for them. They need healthy fats and organic milk is actually nutritionally superior to conventional milk. Look for organic whole milk on sale. Milk just past its sell date it still perfect for making yogurt and often on sale. Even buying it at regular price you can find less expensive organic milks if you look around. You will still save money and organic Whole fat yogurt is REALLY hard to find. So make your own.
- One more thing…when you strain yogurt you are removing the hard to digest lactose. Learn more about how Greek style yogurt is more digestible for the lactose intolerant.
Let’s learn How to use the yogurt button on your instant pot.
Homemade Greek yogurt makes so much sense. Especially if you make it in your Instant pot pressure cooker. It's delicious, easy to make and saves you so much money. The kids in our family love it!
- 1 Gallon whole milk, organic preferred
- 1/2 cup plain organic yogurt, (no additives)
- Pour the milk into your instant pot.
- Press the yogurt function key. Press the adjust button and set to BOIL.
- Close the lid but don't bother to seal it. We are not working under pressure.
- Once the instant pot chimes to tell you it's done remove the lid. Let the yogurt cool to 115 degrees F. (this will take some time. Set it your fridge an hour. Set the timer and check it.
- When the milk is cooled to around 115 degrees F. add your yogurt starter and whisk it into the milk.
- Set the lid on the instant pot and press the yogurt function. Press the yogurt button until the control panel show a time.
- Press the adjust key until you find the time that best works for you. (I usually use from 8 to 16 hours)
- Let the instant pot sit until the timer dings or you are ready to check your yogurt. Jiggle the pan a bit to make sure its set. Add more time if you want your yogurt more set.
- Your yogurt is now ready to eat BUT IT IS NOT GREEK STYLE YET.
- GREEK STYLE: You must strain the yogurt through a cloth until it thickens for the Greek yogurt style.
- Let the yogurt strain several hours to all day to thickness you prefer.
- The more you strain it the more lactose you remove. If you strain it long enough it will go to a soft cheese texture.
- Scoop the greek yogurt out of the strainer.
- Pour the whey into a mason jar and store in fridge. (Whey is useful for baking breads and making greek yogurt pancakes)
The fermenting time shown is VERY adjustable. I like to make yogurt after dinner and then let it sit on the yogurt function all night.
I strain it the next day until I like the thickness. Your yogurt is fairly fail safe so you can adjust the times as you prefer.
Collect the whey that this straining process leaves and store it in your fridge (at least a week) in an airtight container to use in baking. Your baking products will improve and use will use up all that milk you purchased!
Sometimes I just leave the yogurt straining in my fridge all day. When I check it if it's too thick I just add back some of the whey and whisk it back into the yogurt until I like the consistency.
Watch our demonstration video below for a complete demonstration of this recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Kleynhuis Greek Yogurt Strainer Pouch, Organic Cotton (16"X9")
Clothes pins 40 PACK,2 Inch Multi-purpose Stainless Steel Wire,Cord Clothes Pins Utility Clips,Hooks for Home/Office
ThermoPro TP03A Digital Food Cooking Thermometer Instant Read Meat Thermometer for Kitchen BBQ Grill Smoker
Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
Amount Per Serving Calories 153Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 25mgSodium 110mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 0gSugar 13gProtein 8g
We enjoy meeting you on our social networks. Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram . Tag us with your pictures of our recipes and comment on how it went for you. We would love to see what you do with them.
We often like, comment and share your posts of our recipes on our daily Instagram stories.
Ask questions and rate the recipe in the comments section below. Please share what you did with this recipe. We are always looking for more and better ways to make homemade food. Other cooks love your ideas!
- Easy Cheesy Dorito Pie Recipe
- Easy Velveeta Queso Recipe
- Simple Banoffee Pie Recipe
- Instant Pot Greek Yogurt Recipe
- Ultimate Reese’s Pieces Cookies