Lately, copious amounts of zucchini are following me throughout my kitchen. Bulging my refrigerator door, there is no room for anything in my fridge. If you grow zucchini, I’m sure you know what I’m talking about.
No matter how many zucchini come in the door from our garden; there is really no end to what I can do with them. That’s great because…
Today I woke to about six absolutely perfectly ripe, lovely zucchini on my counter. We only planted two hills of them in our garden! The zucchini fairy loves me.
Tonight, We had crock pot hamburger soup and Mexican cornbread for dinner. This vegetarian Italian Stuffed Zucchini was perfect as a side dish. Summer meals with garden fresh produce are a treasure. Even zucchini 🙂
Stuffed Zucchini boats make a wonderful side dish. Our zucchini, tomatoes and sweet bell peppers tasted delicious in this recipe. If you want more protein add cooked quinoa to keep this recipe vegetarian.
If your a meat lover try chopping up some pre cooked chicken sausage and adding them into the mix. Scrumptious!
Stuffed Zucchini Boats Recipe:
And that’s coming from someone who’s been eating zucchini for weeks. We love zucchini in all its many culinary forms. Zucchini breads like Zucchini Pineapple bread is another favorite of ours. Zucchini Tomato casserole,
This is a beautiful, easy to make, dish for a sidebar at a brunch, side dish for dinner, a light lunch or potluck. Display this healthy yummy dish artfully on a tray. It’s that pretty.
And it uses one whole tender, juicy zucchini! Want it a bit zippier? Try higher heat peppers! Enjoy this recipe.
Italian Stuffed Zucchini Boats Printable Recipe:
- 1 zucchini ( tender zucchini about 2 to 3 inches in diameter)
- 6- 2 inch diameter tomatoes - cut them into quarters.
- 1 Cup shredded mozzarella cheese-to taste
- 1 Cup focaccia croutons-crushed ( put some in a plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin)
- 1/2 pepper (sweet or hot) cut into small strips
- 2 Tablespoons Italian seasonings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Oil a baking dish (I used an oiled 9 x 11 baking dish)
- Cut a zucchini in half lengthwise.
- Trim to fit your baking dish.
- Scoop out the seeds with an ice cream scoop and form a trough almost the length of the zucchini half.
- Brush the surface with a mixture of crushed garlic and coconut oil, then sprinkle the whole length of the zucchinis with Italian seasonings.
- Cut and arrange tomato wedges into the zucchini troughs.
- Sprinkle with the crushed croutons and Italian seasonings lightly over top.
- bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes, until the zucchini is firmly tender.
- Remove from oven
- Remove the tomato wedges one at a time(I used a toothpick to lift them) and place shredded mozzarella in between and under the tomatoes. Place the cut lengths of sweet pepper in between the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese, Italian seasonings and croutons lightly on the top.
- Place under your broiler until slightly brown.
- TeamFar Baking Sheet with Rack Set, Stainless Steel Cookie Sheet Baking Pans with Cooling Rack, Non Toxic & Healthy, Rust Free & Heavy Duty, Mirror Finish & Easy Clean, Dishwasher Safe - 6 Pieces
- AmazonBasics Silicone Baking Mat - 2-Pack
- SUMO Ice Cream Scoop: Solid Stainless Steel - Non-slip Rubber Grip - Dishwasher Safe [Green]
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 122 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 7mg Sodium: 236mg Carbohydrates: 15g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Protein: 6g
Adapted from: prouditaliancook.blogspot.com