This Mediterranean Pizza recipe is a delicious blend of fresh ingredients including feta cheese, artichoke hearts, tomato, arugula and black olives; all baked with with an olive oil pesto sauce on our homemade flatbread. It makes a delicious vegetarian pizza your whole family will enjoy.
Making your own pizza is a fun way to enjoy a classic favorite exactly how you want it. It also becomes a fun experience for date nights, bunko gatherings or Friday night family meals.
We are sharing our best tips for creating a scrumptious rustic style pizza right down to the crust. This homemade flatbread crust is very easy to make and well worth the extra time. Our crust is light and packed with flavor. You can always opt to use a pre-made crust if you wish, but nothing beats a fresh, pizzeria style crust.
What is Mediterranean pizza made of?
A traditional Mediterranean, or Greek style, pizza is usually made with a light olive oil drizzle and fresh ingredients found in the Mediterranean diet such as tomatoes, mozzarella and feta cheese, artichoke hearts, spinach or arugula, onions sometimes fresh basil. They are most often meatless making them a fantastic contender for a vegetarian pizza option.
Is pizza on the Mediterranean diet?
You may be familiar with the Mediterranean diet, or perhaps not, either way you may be curious if the Mediterranean pizza could be enjoyed while following this popular diet. In short the answer would be no. The Mediterranean diet allows for small portions of fish, chicken and eggs, small amounts of red wine, sparkling water, and lots of fruit and veggies.
People following the Mediterranean diet are to avoid refined grains, white pasta and pizza dough containing white flour. Sadly, despite it’s name the Mediterranean pizza would not fit into this way of eating. However, it would make a scrumptious cheat meal.
More Pizza Ideas:
Can I freeze flatbread dough?
You can flatbread for 3 months either as an uncooked shaped dough, or after you have baked it. Simply store in a freezer safe, airtight bag and lay flat in your freezer. Flatbread is a great option for longterm storage as it will hold in your freezer for a few months, and can be eaten in many different ways.
Also try our Italian Herbed Crust Recipe. Another favorite Italian Pizza style crust full of herbs and with a tomato sauce added right into the crust.
Our homemade flatbread is very easy to make and takes only about an hour total to prepare. It is an invest of time that we feel is worthy of the undertaking; flatbreads can be enjoyed in more ways than just pizza making it a versatile style of bread that you can use in so many different meals. Making your own also allows you to control the quality of ingredients used and avoid the added preservatives and fillers that are found in pre-made options.
However, life is buys and we don’t always have the option to invest time into each of our meals. If store bought pre-baked flatbread or pizza dough is your best option this pizza recipe makes a very fast dinner for the family. We love pizzas and have used store bought flatbread and sauces many times.
Mediterranean Pizza Recipe:
The topping Ingredients can be any mix of your favorite Mediterranean style foods. We chose what we love, but the beauty of pizza is that you can select your favorites and enjoy it your way.
Mediterranean Topping ideas:
- Kalamata olives are an option if you prefer them over black olives. You could even use green Cerignola olives or omit olives altogether.
- Consider replacing the olives with figs and adding some prosciutto and a balsamic drizzle. This will take it out of the traditional veggie style but it makes a delicious pizza pie.
- Using homemade flatbread you can choose a thick or thin crust. Our flatbread is also leavened but you could use an unleavened recipe too.
- Replace the arugula with fresh basil leaves or swap it out for spinach.
We use a baking sheet in a hot oven for about 15 minutes to bake this recipe but you can also grill your flatbread pizza on a baking stone for a wood fired oven flavor. Grilling it will definitely intensify the flavors and create a gorgeous firm crunch to your crust.
Your Printable Recipe Card:
Under the notes section you will find our recipe demonstration video.
A delicious and healthy vegetarian Italian style pizza. We use our Homemade Flatbread recipe. These toppings are perfect over our chewy flatbread pizza crust.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tsp. large grain kosher salt-divided
- 1 Cup Pesto (use your favorite- we chose basil)
- 2 Cups shredded Mozzarella
- 1/2 cup Feta cheese
- 1 cup grape tomatoes-(halved)
- 3/4 Cup black olives-(sliced or chopped)
- 1/2 red onion-(thinly sliced)
- 1 Cup marinated artichoke hearts-(quartered pieces as desired)
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 Cup fresh arugula leaves
- 12 x 15 flatbread (or make our homemade flatbread recipe here)
- Make flatbread if using homemade
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Prep the toppings as listed.
Make the Pizza:
- Form the flatbread dough to your 16 x 13 baking sheet or pizza stone.
- Brush oil on the flatbread (or dough)
- Sprinkle 1 tsp coarse salt over oil.
- Spread pesto evenly over oiled flatbread.
- Spread the mozzarella cheese evenly over the pesto.
- Sprinkle the feta cheese over the mozzarella.
- evenly space out the halved grape tomatoes.
- Place the olives, red onions and artichoke hearts over the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle oregano and remaining salt over all.
- Bake 15 minutes or until the flatbread is done and cheese is slightly browned. (adjust time to 12 minutes for pre-baked flatbread).
- Remove the baked pizza from oven.
- Cut in pan or remove and serve from wooden board.
Mediterranean Topping ideas:
- Do you prefer kalamata olives rather than black? How about green Cerignola olives? Tell us your favorites in the comment section below.
- Want to get 'Out of the box?' Try replacing the olives with figs and adding some prosciutto (not a vegetarian choice) and a balsamic drizzle.
- We use red onion, mozzarella cheese with artichoke hearts on top.
- Using homemade flatbread you can choose a thick or thin crust. We tend to go thinner to keep the carbs reasonable.
- Replace the arugula with fresh basil leaves.
- We use a baking sheet in a hot oven for about 15 minutes to bake this recipe. But there are other methods.
- Try Grilling your flatbread pizza on a baking stone for a wood fired oven flavor.
- If you do have a good wood fired pizza oven your in business. We might be a tad jealous. 🙂