These creamy Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars are layered with a nutty topping and rich pumpkin cheesecake. This take on a classic pumpkin cheesecake makes a great holiday dessert, perfect for a crowd with easily sliceable portions.
Made with fresh or canned pumpkin puree, cream cheese, pumpkin pie spices, and topped with a nutty pecan crust for a scrumptious fall treat that is easier than a cheesecake, with all of the deliciousness that we know and love.
Watch our quick video tutorial on making this Pumpkin Cheesecake inspired dessert
More Pumpkin Recipes
Do Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars need to be refrigerated?
Yes, because these bars are made in the traditional cheesecake style with cream cheese and eggs they do need to be kept in the fridge for extended periods of time. Because is has been baked, the dessert is stable at room temperature for a short time but should be kept chilled for storage.
Recipe notes on Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
You can make this fall dessert with Homemade Roasted Pumpkin Puree for a deeper, sweeter flavor than store bought canned pumpkin puree.
Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars are easy to travel with and make a great food gift for friends and family.
How do you make Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars?
Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars take the finicky and technical cheesecake, and bring it into an easy dessert that everyone can whip together. Simply combine your crust ingredients reserving half for the topping. Bake the crust, pour the pumpkin cheesecake filling into the dish and top with remaining crust. Bake for a warm, crunchy cheesecake style dessert that can be served as bars.
Here is a visual walkthrough.
How do I make better Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars?
- Be sure to oil or butter and flour the pan. This dessert bar recipe serves like a dream but sticks if you forget this step.
- Finely mince the pecans. We recommend using a food processor, but if you don’t have one just be sure to take the time on this step.
- Use Neufchatel cheese to help reduce the calories if you like.
- Replacing the butter with coconut oil is also an option. Coconut oil has a delicious flavor that really enhances the flavor of all baked goods.
- This recipe can be easily made ahead a day or so and stored. These bars have that nice, thick topping which protects them from drying out; but be sure to wrap the container tightly in plastic wrap.
Can I omit the nuts in the topping?
Yes, if you prefer you can make the topping without nuts. It will just become more of a crumble style topping, but will still work just fine as crust and topping. You can also use walnuts in place of the pecans if you desire.
Your Printable Recipe Card:
A simple dessert perfect for Fall and the Holiday season. Full of rich pumpkin flavor and crumbly topping with a press in crust. Your family will enjoy this Scrumptious treat. It's an easy take along dessert for all kinds of Fall and Winter events.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 Cup melted butter
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground pumpkin pie spice
The Crust and Topping:
- In a large bowl, combine flour and brown sugar. Pour in melted butter and stir until crumbly. Stir in chopped pecans. set aside 1 cup of this mixture for topping.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into the bottom only of a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool
- In a large bowl, beat cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in the pumpkin, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Pour over the BAKED crust. Sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool thoroughly. Cut into bars. Store in the refrigerator. Serve at room temperature.
- Coconut oil or avocado are great substitutes for the butter in this recipe.
- Walnuts may be used instead of Pecans if you prefer.
- Substitute Nuefchâtel cheese for the cream cheese to lower the calories in this recipe significantly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pyrex Basics 8 Square with red cover
Pyrex Smart Essentials 8-Piece Mixing Bowl Set
Krockery Porcelain Serving Plates, Rectangular Serving Trays for Parties - 9.8 Inch, White, Set of 4
KOIOS Powerful 800W 4-in-1 Hand Immersion Blender 12 Speeds, Includes 304 Stainless Steel Stick Blender, 600ml Mixing Beaker, 500ml Food Processor, and Whisk Attachment, Multi-Purpose, BPA-Free, Red
Amount Per Serving Calories 382Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 80mgSodium 139mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 2gSugar 25gProtein 6g
Reduce the calories per bar to 206 by substituting neufchâtel Cheese for the cream cheese and using avocado oil rather than butter.
We enjoy meeting you on our social networks. Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram . Tag us with your pictures of our recipes and comment on how it went for you. We would love to see what you do with them.
We often like, comment and share your posts of our recipes on our daily Instagram stories.
Ask questions and rate the recipe in the comments section below. Please share what you did with this recipe. We are always looking for more and better ways to make homemade food. Other cooks love your ideas!
Originally published as Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p 87
Recipe is adapted from Taste of Home