Roasted Slow Cooker Tomato Sauce method punches up the flavor on homemade tomato sauce! Roasting veggies concentrates their flavor as does long simmering the sauce. Yummers!
Here is Amanda!
There is usually a pretty significant amount of sugar added to pre-made sauces and the ingredients lose a lot of their nutritional benefits and flavor simply because they are not being used in their freshest possible form.
Recipe Notes For Roasted Slow Cooker tomato Sauce:
This sauce is simple and so rich and creamy! All it takes is a little bit of planning and few hours in your crockpot to simmer to perfection. You will bake the tomato mixture for about an hour, blend it all up and then transfer it to a crockpot for the rest of the afternoon. Simple! And your house will smell fantastic all day.
- Next, your Tomatoes. They can be any kind just make sure they are a deep red color to ensure lots of flavor.
- Quarter them and lay them down in the pan.
- Rough chop your onion, dropping the pieces over top of the tomatoes.
- Add your 10 cloves of garlic. No chopping, just place them among the onions and tomatoes.
- Tear a few fresh basil leaves and sprinkle them around.
- Drizzle the mixture with some Olive oil, Sea Salt and fresh ground Pepper.
- Using your hands, mix it all around to coat everything
Revel in how amazing it all smells!
- Once it all looks soft and slightly caramelized you know it’s ready to blend.
- Carefully spoon the mixture into your food processor or blender. (do this in small batches if necessary)
- Add the can of Tomato paste and 1 Tbs, or more if you desire, of Balsamic Vinegar.
- Pulse or blend to a smooth, creamy consistency. You can add some of the juices from the baking dish if you would like to thin it out.
- Transfer the sauce to your crockpot and cook on low for 4-6 hours. The longer you let it simmer the sweeter the Roasted slow cooker tomato sauce will become. I only cooked mine for 4 hours and it was a great flavor.
At this point add any extra spices you would like, I added some Oregano a bit of dried Rosemary and some more Pepper. You could also cook up and add meat to your crockpot if you are wanting to make it a meat sauce.