This moist, rich, sweet potato cinnamon cake is a delicious dessert. This holiday favorite is chock full of fibrous, good for you sweet potatoes and healthy coconut oil. Cinnamon adds a perky spice to compliment the nutty glaze and brown sugar topping. This is a wonderful fall treat or popular holiday dessert.
The rain has set in. These dark, wet, gloomy days are the toughest for my husband and I. We adjust to the short, cold wet days and lengthening dark nights by retreating into our cozy home. Baking, chatting, eating, blogging and playing computer games fill our winter evenings; mostly. This recipe came from just such a day.
My hubby works hard and loves warm, comforting food. I do my best to give him a compromise between what he loves, which is sweet, fattening desserts; and healthier ingredients to help digest the sugary treats he craves when the weather gets dreary.
For this recipe-which has a lot of carbs-I replaced the butter with coconut oil (heart healthy avocado oil would also work) and reduced the fat by half. The carbs…oh well. it is a dessert after all 🙂
Sweet potato cinnamon cake is so delicious! A carby goody to be enjoyed sparingly. Perfect party food!
I don’t always make health food, as this recipe attests, but even desserts can be adjusted to tone down the “bad for you” elements and ramp up the yum factor! When you bake from scratch, you know what you are eating.
This dessert is one of my weaknesses. I can literally eat it all day long and drink coffee for breakfast lunch and dinner. Dave is much better at controlling himself with sweets like this. When the dreary days hit, I tend to burrow in with a book and lovely, tasty carbs. Sweet potatoes are good for you though…
Learn how to Make Sweet Potato Puree in your Instant Pot and keep some handy for recipes like this one!
OR Go look at How to roast and puree pumpkin . This method will work for whole sweet potatoes and make a sweet potato puree that your family will love with NO instant pot required 🙂 This post also shows you how to freeze it properly.
So this is what I make for parties, potlucks and Holiday meals. That way I’m saved from myself. If you have better control over your appetite than I this make a scrumptious dessert anytime.
If you purchase items from our affiliate links we may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. Thank you for supporting Homemade Food Junkie.
Sweet Potato Cinnamon Cake Recipe:
This recipe is not hard but it has some steps. Just follow the recipe and all will go well.
Do you own an Instant Pot? Try this easy method of making your own Sweet Potato puree. This method also works well with other hard shelled winter squash. Steam the sweet potatoes, make the puree and Keep some handy for recipes like this one!
320 CALORIES per serving
FAT 19 g
CARBS 35 g
PROTEIN 6 g
For the Cake)
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 11/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tsps vanilla
- 1/2 cup coconut oil-melted
(For the Topping:)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil-melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 TBLS flour
- 1 TBLS cinnamon
(for the Glaze)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 5 TBLS milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup roughly chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13×9 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- In another large bowl beat sweet potatoes and milk until smooth. Add beaten eggs, and vanilla, beat until combined.
- Slowly add flour to sweet potato mixture, mixing until just incorporated. Slowly stir the melted coconut oil into the batter until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Mix all the topping ingredients together until well combined. Drop evenly over the batter and swirl with a knife. Now pat it in with a spatula and smooth the surface.
- Bake cake for 30- 35 minutes. After cake is baked, cool while making the glaze.
- Combine glaze ingredients mix until smooth. Glaze cake while still warm.
Make this dessert a day ahead of your party and cover tightly. The leftovers keep well too if kept covered, even at room temperature for a day.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 320