Cinnamon adds a perky spice to compliment the nutty glaze and cinnamon brown sugar filling. This is a wonderful fall treat or popular holiday dessert.
The rain has set in. These dark, wet, gloomy days are the toughest for my husband and I. We adjust to the short, cold wet days and lengthening dark nights by retreating into our cozy home.Baking, chatting, eating, blogging and playing computer games fill our winter evenings mostly. This recipe came from just such a day. We have loved this Fall dessert ever since.
This sweet potato recipe is pure indulgence. It became one of our family favorites. Drop a pan of this cake on Fall party tables or your Thanksgiving feast and watch it go. Kids and grown ups all love this delicious sweet potato dessert recipe.
More Fall dessert Ideas:
Sweet potato cinnamon cake is so delicious! A carby goody to be enjoyed sparingly. Perfect party food! When you bake from scratch, you know what you are eating.
When the dreary days hit, I tend to burrow in with a book and lovely, tasty carbs. Sweet potatoes are good for you though. Lots of fiber and nutrients to balance all that sweet carby goodness. 🙂
Learn how to Make Sweet Potato Puree in your Instant Pot and keep some handy for recipes like this one!
Do you own an Instant Pot? Try this easy method of making your own Sweet Potato puree. This method also works well with other hard shelled winter squash. Steam the sweet potatoes, make the puree and Keep some handy for recipes like this one!
OR Go look at How to roast and puree pumpkin . This method will work for whole sweet potatoes and make a sweet potato puree that your family will love with NO instant pot required 🙂 This post also shows you how to freeze it properly.
You can see the crumb is full of yummy cinnamon and glaze. It’s really really good. Make this delicious sweet potato dessert for parties, potlucks and Holiday meals.
Helpful Amazon products:
Sweet Potato Cinnamon Cake Recipe:
This recipe is not hard but it has quite a few steps. Just follow the recipe and all will go well. Watch our video on either the sidebar on at the bottom of our printable recipe card for a complete recipe demonstration.
ONE TIP: Be SURE to drain your yams if they are canned. Look at the video and recipe card to see the proper consistency of your mashed sweet potatoes. Otherwise you may have too much or too little liquid in with them.
That will make your sweet potato cake either too dry or too wet. We want it moist and light. Happy Baking!
Your Printable Recipe Card:
This moist, rich, sweet potato cinnamon cake is a delicious sweet potato dessert. This holiday favorite is chock full of fibrous, nutritious sweet potatoes. Cinnamon adds a perky spice to compliment the nutty glaze and brown sugar cinnamon filling. This is a wonderful fall treat or popular holiday dessert
For the Cake:
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tsps vanilla
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter-melted
For the Cinnamon filling:
- 1/2 cup coconut oil-melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 Tablespoons cinnamon
for the Glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 5 TBLS milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup roughly chopped pecans
For the Sweet Potato Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13×9 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and nutmeg.
- Whisk to combine.
- In another large bowl add cooked sweet potatoes to a large bowl The Sweet potatoes should be this consistency when added.
- Blend the sweet potatoes and milk with a hand mixer (OR stand mixer) until smooth.
- Add in eggs whole and Beat until combined.
- Pour in the vanilla and melted butter. Blend until combined.
- Slowly add dry ingredients in small batches to sweet potato mixture. Mixing until just incorporated between batches.
- After all ingredients are in the large bowl blend until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. set aside.
Make Cinnamon Filling:
- Mix all the cinnamon filling ingredients together until well combined.
- Drop evenly over the batter.
- Swirl in the filling with a knife.
- Bake cake for 30- 35 minutes until a toothpick in the center of the cake comes out clean. .
- Remove from heat and allow to cool while making the glaze.
- Combine glaze ingredients mix until smooth.
- Pour the glaze over the cake top.
- Glaze cake while still warm so it seeps into the cake..
Allow the cake to cool and set 30 minutes or more before serving. Cut into 24 squares and serve straight from the pan.
Make this dessert a day ahead of your party and cover tightly. The leftovers keep well too if kept covered, even at room temperature for a day.
NOTE: Canned sweet potatoes need to be drained before using them in this recipe
Watch the video below to see the proper consistency of the sweet potatoes. And for a complete demonstration of this recipe.
Amount Per Serving Calories 320Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 31mgSodium 155mgCarbohydrates 45gFiber 2gSugar 26gProtein 5g