Pumpkin pie time! Homemade pumpkin pie from REAL pumpkins is a delicious holiday dessert you can be proud of. The flavor of fresh roasted pumpkin puree is more full bodied and intense than canned. The pumpkin flavor comes through beautifully in this pie filling recipe.Cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg spices scent the air while this lovely homemade pumpkin pie bakes in your oven. Rich, thick, custard pumpkin pie filling, in our flaky coconut oil crust or whatever pie crust you prefer.
If you’re a sourdough baker try our sourdough pie crust. It’s an easy sourdough discard recipe made in your food processor and uses butter. What flavor!! The dough freezes well, is easy to work with and the sourdough flavor is perfect with pumpkin pie.
Whatever pie crust you choose, Grab a fresh sugar pie pumpkin, turn it into homemade pumpkin puree and make this delicious pumpkin pie filling recipe.
The beauty of having a freezer full of pumpkin puree is year round pumpkin treats. It’s fun to have pumpkin pie and other winter squash recipes all through the year. Good luck finding canned pumpkin in the grocery stores in summer!
Our Grandkids made you a Fall greeting with our garden pumpkins. Happy Fall everyone!
We grew some nice sugar pie pumpkins this year. The grandkids have had their fun decorating and now it’s time to make pie!
TIPS FOR USING FRESH PUMPKIN:
- Only use the sugar pie variety of pumpkins for pie. The huge Jack O Lanterns can be used, but the texture and flavor are not meant for pie, so they give poor flavor and stringy texture.
- Use our recipe for Roasted Pumpkin Puree for best texture and flavor. Steamed pumpkins give the recipe a lot of extra liquid and is tricky to get the correct texture. Roasting your pumpkin really adds flavor too.
And don’t forget to Roast your Pumpkin seeds for an excellent healthy snack. Just click the link to see how to roast the seeds.
Pumpkin Pie Filling Recipe for Fresh Pumpkin:
- To use frozen homemade pumpkin puree in this recipe:
- Thaw it at room temperature in a big bowl and pour out any extra fluid. You want a fairly thick puree for this recipe. Take a look at the puree I’m using in the recipe video to see the correct consistency for the puree.
- If its too loose for pie when thawed strain it through a cloth or tight sieve until you like the density.
- FYI: Canned Pumpkin puree will work fine in this recipe but adjust the spices to taste for better flavor.
- To protect your pie crust from overbrowning make pie shields with tinfoil or purchase silicone pie shields. So handy!
Decorating your pie top:
Want To add a cute seasonal Fall look to your pie?
Use Fall dough cut outs. These are mine. I’ve used them several times over two pie seasons. They work great and wash up well.
To bake the dough toppers into your pie:
- Keep your dough scraps from rolling out your pie crusts. Set it aside while you complete the pie and put it in the oven to bake.
- While you pies bake roll out the scraps and press the dough cut outs into the dough to make the shapes you prefer. Set them on a piece of parchment.
- 15 minutes before your pies are finished baking, remove them from the oven and lay the dough shapes onto the pie top. Be careful the pies are hot and unset. So once the shapes are placed do not move them.
- Return the pies to your oven and complete baking.
Aren’t those dough toppers cute?
Here’s your Printable:
This lovely traditional pumpkin pie has a Rich, thick, custard pumpkin filling made from either fresh, frozen homemade roasted puree or canned pumpkin. Add dough toppers for fun. Video instructions included. Using fresh pumpkin puree made in a steamer is looser and less successful in this recipe. For best results follow the easy instructions for Homemade Roasted Pumpkin Puree. This will give you a rich flavor and good texture too.
Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 181
This lovely traditional pumpkin pie has a Rich, thick, custard pumpkin filling made from either fresh, frozen homemade roasted puree or canned pumpkin. Add dough toppers for fun. Video instructions included.
Using fresh pumpkin puree made in a steamer is looser and less successful in this recipe. For best results follow the easy instructions for Homemade Roasted Pumpkin Puree. This will give you a rich flavor and good texture too.