Here are the bottled ingredients I’m using today to make this meal come alive. I found an excellent sesame oil with hot chili pepper infused in it. Yum! This dish has just a touch of spice with a bit of sweet to balance. Fresh ginger root and young garlic shallots chopped all the way up the stem offer healthyzing and favor to this yummy dish. The broccoli can be either fresh or frozen, we have no garden broccoli this time of year so today I’m using frozen and it worked perfectly. Last time I used fresh and that was great too! Feel free to adjust the sauce ingredients to your taste. Spice it up or down, adjust the sweet as you like. That’s the fun of homemade!
Crock Pot Asian broccoli beef dinner Recipe Notes:
Crock Pot Asian Beef Dinner is easily made. This is the second time I have made this recipe. I have to say we are loving it a whole lot this second time around! I’m glad I remembered to pull it out of the archives and dust it off. It needed a facelift with better pictures to show you just how yummy this dinner is!
A word here, about the meat. I call for it raw in my recipe and have made this twice with excellent results. The meat is thoroughly cooked and beautifully flavored. If you want to brown it ahead that’s fine, but I do think the flavor of the sauce goes into the raw meat possibly better than it would a browned or seared meat. Just saying…to ensure a flavorful fully cooked meat make your meat strips thin.
The sauce is made in the Crock Pot with the meat. Just leave out the last step of Adding the cornstarch until the last 30 minutes of cooking time. That’s when the broccoli goes in too, to keep it fresher. It’s lovely to have a bit of broccoli and garlic shallots for garnish as well.
Lately the taste buds have been craving a bit of an umami flavor. Asian broccoli beef dinner fills the bill. Simple asian flavor and umami richness.
- 2 lb. chuck roast (cut into thin strips)
- 1 Cup soy sauce
- 3 Cups concentrated beef broth
- 2/3 Cup brown sugar (to taste)
- 2 Tablespoons Sesame Oil
- 1 Tablespoon garlic minced
- 4 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 Cup cooled sauce from the crock pot after being cooked
- 3 Cups broccoli florets (fresh or frozen)
- 1 Cup onion minced
- 1 Tablespoon of ginger (fresh minced)
- 4 Cups Cooked rice
- Put the raw beef into the crock pot.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the soy sauce, concentrated beef broth, brown sugar, sesame oil and garlic, onion and ginger.
- Pour over the sliced beef and set the crock pot on high heat. Cook 3 and a half hours.
To finish allow 30 minutes additional time:
- After 3 and a half hours, In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and sauce from the crock pot until smooth. Add to the crock pot. Stir well.
- Add broccoli to the crock pot. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook an additional 30 minutes on high (the sauce has to boil for it to thicken).
- During this time cook your rice separately.
- Serve over hot cooked rice..or try my brown rice quinoa blend. Just replace beef broth for the chicken broth in the recipe.
Amount Per Serving Calories 439Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 76mgSodium 1877mgCarbohydrates 42gFiber 3gSugar 15gProtein 29g
NOTE: If you have leftovers, store the rice separately from the broccoli beef mixture. Otherwise the rice absorbs the intense flavor of the beef. The rice is best, next day, if stored separately in the fridge.