This Grilled Chicken Corn Black Bean Salad is one of our delicious loaded salads packed with protein and delicious flavors. This is a great alternative to traditional grilled chicken salads or Caesar salads with a savory bbq sauce.
We have packed all of our bbq favorites into this salad including corn, grilled chicken, onions, bbq seasonings, and hearty black beans. It’s perfect either as a side to your next summer time bbq, or as a scrumptious meal all on its own. When made as directed this recipe yields 4 generous servings, but that can easily be altered by changing up the amount of ingredients used.
This salad can go by many different names due to its versatile nature. Southwest chicken salad, a vegetarian option could go by black bean corn salad, and you can add any additional favorites that you love and include that in the name like a black bean corn avocado salad.
No matter how you build it, what you omit or include, or how you present it, this is an absolutely delicious salad that is hearty and sustaining. We usually enjoy it for a grilled dinner during summer.
How do you make a grilled chicken corn black bean salad?
Grill a chicken breast, add a few greens, corn, and black beans for the base. Green and red peppers and bright red tomatoes provide lovely color and flavor. Throw in any of your favorite salad ingredients like fresh red onions, avocado slices, and cilantro. The sauce can be your favorite bbq sauce mixed with ranch dressing.
If possible, try using fresh veggies from the garden, community co-op, or local farmers for an added dimension of fresh goodness. This salad can be made healthier depending on the ingredients you use, the choice of sauces, and the seasonings that you utilize.
Grilled chicken is a wonderfully light protein that makes a fantastic base for this salad, but you can even change that up. Use steak if you prefer, or omit the meats altogether and keep it vegetarian. A corn and black bean salad is perfect to serve at any bbq as a hearty side.
Which greens are best for a bbq salad?
We usually make this salad with spinach, but you can use a variety of different greens. We find that the softer greens like arugula, an assortment of mixed salad greens, romaine lettuce, and spinach are our preferred choices. They bring flavor and crunch without adding too much roughage to each bite.
The greens can also be omitted if you prefer. It just makes this more of a non green salad black bean corn avocado dish; which makes a great side for bbqs.
What can I add to this grilled salad?
If you are looking for ideas to change up the ingredients for this salad, you have no shortage of options depending on what flavor and texture you are going for. Here are some other ideas to try.
- Pineapple brings a delicious and refreshing sweet kick that compliments the flavors of this salad
- By changing up the sauces you can completely alter the flavors. Teriyaki, sauces with spice, or a stronger vinegar base will affect the flavor and experience
- Adding peppers will change the flavor and add crunch
- Garnishing with cilantro will bring a depth of flavor with the bbq sauce that is refreshing and interesting
- Using a breaded chicken will bring that delicious fried chicken flavor that everyone loves
How do I grill chicken for a salad?
Chicken breast can prove a slightly tricky meat to prepare because it is so lean. It can become dry and tough making it less than enjoyable to eat. Grilling your chicken breast will infuse delicious flavor, but the risk of over cooking is still present. Here are some tips for grilling the best chicken breast.
- Allow the chicken breast to marinate for a few hours in a base of liquid fats like buttermilk to tenderize the meat
- Season the chicken with your choice of basic seasonings like salt, pepper, or a bbq blend
- Heat the grill to 400 degrees F and place the prepared chicken breast(s) on the grill
- Keep the lid closed for even cooking, and allow the meat to cook for 6-8 minutes
- Once the meat lifts off the grill without sticking it is ready to flip, if it sticks allow it to cook a bit longer
- Flip the chicken breast(s) and cook for an additional 6-8 minutes until they lift off easily
- Be sure to check the internal temperature of each breast which is very important before consuming chicken
- The internal temperature must be 165 degrees F, if its just a bit under that is fine because it will continue to cook after your remove it from the heat
- Place the meat on a plate and cover for 5-10 minutes which will help lock in the juices and flavor
- After the chicken has finished resting, slice or chop and add to your salad
What can I serve this grilled chicken salad with?
If you are making this as a side dish, it can be offered alongside a variety of different foods and dishes. Here are some ideas to get you going.
- As a side for bbq meats like pulled pork, ribs, brisket, bratwursts etc
- With a cornbread, chips, or even in tortillas
- Enjoy with your favorite summer cocktails like a margarita, moscow mule, or arnold palmer
- Offer alongside a smoked cheese dip
Do I need to pre cook the corn and black beans?
If you are using canned ingredients they do not require any pre cooking, though you certainly can if you would like. If you are using fresh, raw corn or dried beans they would need to be cooked before adding to the salad.
For added flavor you could grill some corn on the cob which will bring a scrumptious kick to this salad. Simply grill the corn and then slice off the kernels to be added to the salad.
Grilled Chicken Corn Black Bean Salad Recipe Card
The sauce is one of our favorite store bought barbecue sauces, Stubbs Sticky Sweet. The sweet zing in this barbecue sauce is perfect for this salad. Add a touch of ranch dressing and whisk them together. The sauce becomes a creamy, rich flavorful dressing with a full bodied, salad dressing flavor, and consistency.
This Grilled Chicken, Corn, and Black Bean Salad is one of our delicious loaded salads packed with protein and delicious flavors. This is a great alternative to traditional grilled chicken salads or Caesar salads with a savory bbq sauce.
- 1 grilled chicken breast
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. mesquite seasonings
- (1) 15 oz. can corn or fresh
- (1) 15 oz. black beans
- 1 Cup greens
- 1 fresh tomato, chopped
- 1 red onion
- 1/4 Cup barbecue sauce
- 1 TBS ranch dressing
- Brush the chicken breast with the olive oil and season to taste
- Grill the chicken breast at 400 degrees F for 8 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear and the breast lifts off the grill easily
- Combine all the ingredients for the salad as described
- Whisk together the dressing and serve on the side in a bowl to drizzle on the salad as desired
- When the chicken is done remove from heat, cool to handling and slice into strips, as desired
- Stir the chicken into the salad
- Serve the salad with the dressing on the side
Amount Per Serving Calories 475Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 52mgSodium 1164mgCarbohydrates 75gFiber 13gSugar 31gProtein 28g
More of our scrumptious salad recipes are linked below! Just click on the picture to open the recipe post
We enjoy meeting you on our social networks. Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram . Tag us with your pictures of our recipes and comment on how it went for you. We would love to see what you do with them.
We often like, comment and share your posts of our recipes on our daily Instagram stories.
Ask questions and rate the recipe in the comments section below. Please share what you did with this recipe. We are always looking for more and better ways to make homemade food. Other cooks love your ideas!
- Best Spicy Blood Orange Margarita Recipe
- Delicious Dark Chocolate Berry Bars with Toasted Pistachio
- Light and Fluffy Sourdough Discard Doughnuts Recipe
- Exploring Freeze Drying Vs Dehydrating
- How to Freeze Dry Beef: A Simple Guide