Chicken enchilada casserole with homemade enchilada sauce! This meal is delicious and easy. This recipe uses healthful, fresh ingredients. Recipe links to make it entirely from scratch!
I’m looking for recipes using up our overload of fresh peppers and tomatoes. Dave loves to grow them in the greenhouse. He may have gotten a bit carried away this year. Having a new greenhouse gave him a whole new playground. He loves it!
He keeps bringing me these gorgeous tomatoes. My job is to not let even ONE go to waste.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly grease a 13×9 glass baking dish.
- Mix together the chicken and seasonings in a large bowl. The chicken pieces should be small shreds completely covered in seasoning.
- Add onion and garlic, 1 cup of enchilada sauce and half of the shredded cheddar cheese. Mix well.
- Pour a thin layer of enchilada sauce over the bottom of your oiled 13 x 9 casserole dish. Scoop large spoonfuls of chicken mixture into a tortilla, roll up and place in baking dish. Repeat until all mixture is used and baking dish is packed with prepared tortillas.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the tortillas.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the sauce.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Check to see if cheese is melted and casserole is bubbling. If not, add another 10 minutes to the timer. If the cheese is brown, but the casserole is not done, cover with tinfoil for the last 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let sit for about 5 minutes before serving. Serve with a dollop of sour cream, refried beans and rice if desired.
HOMEMADE ENCHILADA SAUCE:
For the directions and printable recipe for the enchilada sauce go here:
casserole recipe adapted from Just A Pinch