Our Chicken enchilada casserole is delicious and easy to make. This recipe includes two different assembly methods.
You can either fill and roll the tortillas or layer it Mexican lasagna style.
They make VERY different dinner presentations with the exact same ingredients. Choose what works best for your family.
Enchilada casserole is a baked Mexican casserole with great flavor. You control the spiciness. That’s the beauty of home cooking.
Try using our homemade enchilada sauce with it. There is really nothing like the versatility and customizing you can do with homemade recipes.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole:
You are going to love how versatile and easy this recipe is.
You can make it with raw chicken meat cooked and shredded or pick up a pack of packaged pre-shredded rotisserie chicken meat at your grocery deli.
Do you want an even heartier all in one pan dinner? Add in a can or black beans, black olives or kernel corn. Need the carbs lower? Use low carb tortillas.
This is how we first created this recipe. It makes a lovely presentation.
Mexican Lasagna style Assembly:
This assembly style creates a 9 x 13 pan of this hearty filling and delicious Mexican dinner.
It’s very simple to do and the leftovers make a great lunch!
Your Printable Recipe Card:
If you print out the recipe the pictures will not print. This is to save you paper and ink. Please let is know if you Enjoy the recipe. 🙂
Chicken enchilada casserole with homemade enchilada sauce. This meal is delicious and easy. This recipe uses healthful, fresh ingredients. Recipe links to make it entirely from scratch.
- 12 tortillas (Size to fit your pan-either flour or corn)
- 4 Cups chicken (cooked and shredded)
- 4 Cups cheese (grated finely)
- 3 Cups enchilada sauce ( 28 oz. Can is fine)
- 1/2 Cup onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons garlic, minced
for the Chicken Seasoning
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cumin (or paprika, Not smoked)
- 2 Tablespoons water or chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly grease a 13x9 glass baking dish.
- Mix together the chicken and seasoning in a large bowl reducing the chicken to small shreds completely covered in seasoning.
- Add onion and garlic, 1 cup of enchilada sauce and half of the shredded cheddar cheese. Mix well.
- Pour a thin layer of enchilada sauce (about 1/2 Cup) over the bottom of your oiled 13 x 9 casserole dish.
Rolled Tortilla Assembly Method:
- Scoop large spoonfuls of chicken mixture into a flour tortilla. Here is our flour tortilla recipe, roll up and place in baking dish. Repeat until all mixture is used and baking dish is packed with prepared tortillas.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the tortillas. NOTE: Use only the amount of sauce that works for you if presentation is important.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the sauce.As desired
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Check to see if cheese is melted and casserole is bubbling. If not, add another 10 minutes to the timer. If the cheese is brown, but the casserole is not done, cover with tinfoil for the last 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Garnish the top with chopped fresh cilantro and peppers or olives as desired.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, refried beans and rice if desired.
Mexican Lasagna Style Assembly Steps:
- Cut your tortillas so they make a complete even layer in the bottom of the pan over the enchilada sauce.
- Layer HALF the prepared chicken mixture over the tortillas.
- Pour evenly 1 Cup of the remaining enchilada sauce over the chicken layer.
- Layer tortillas over the enchilada sauce.
- Repeat the chicken layer with all the remaining chicken mixture.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce evenly over the top of chicken.
- Top with remaining cheese (as desired) in an even layer.
- Bake covered for 25 minutes.
- Bake uncovered an additional 10 minutes to brown it.
- Remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes while you garnish the top as desired.
- Sour cream dolloped on top
- Jalapeño peppers slices arranged on top.
- Chopped chives or green onion tops.
- Salas and chips on the side.
- Refried beans and Mexican rice go well with this dinner.
You can use any size tortilla for the Mexican Lasagna assembly method. Just cut them to fit your pan.
Suggestions for add ins:
If you want to make this a one pan dinner here are some add ins that create a complete meal and increase the flavor structure.
- black olives
- 14 oz. can kernel corn
- 14 oz can black beans
Amount Per Serving Calories 401Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 62mgSodium 1148mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 3gSugar 3gProtein 20g
HOMEMADE ENCHILADA SAUCE:
For the directions and printable recipe for the enchilada sauce go here:
casserole recipe adapted from Just A Pinch